British Occupation of Bethabara
February 9 @ 9:00 am - March 10 @ 2:00 pm
The British are coming! Join us for a weekend of living history at Historic Bethabara Park. Bring out the whole family to explore the park and meet re-enactors who can share the stories of the British Occupation of Wachovia in 1781. Keith the blacksmith will be here with his forge!
Throughout the day, there will be ongoing living history activities in both camps at Bethania and Bethabara:
• Basic camp life, including mending clothing and equipment, and shelter construction.
• Interactions between the British, Refugees, and Moravians.
• The tenuous relationship between the Continental Army and the Surry County Militia.
• Food requisition and preparation.
• Military patrols, roll calls, inspections, and guard postings.
Throughout the morning, the Americans scramble to send out patrols, fight to keep militia from deserting. The British deal with looting by Refugees during the night, post guards, and send out patrols.