- This event has passed.
Bethabara Highland Games
May 4, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Free Admission! Celebrate the Scots-Irish contribution to Bethabara! Enjoy live music from Góilín and Wake the Parson, watch extreme heavy athletic competitions, eat authentic Scottish foods, participate in the battle axe competition, experience sheepdog demonstrations, listen to bagpipes, and shop from local craftsmen.
In the Visitor Center, we will have tartan kilts for children and adults to ‘rent’ for free while supplies last to help everyone get into the spirit of the Games. Arrive early to make sure you get one before they’re all gone!
– Traditional Scottish heavy athletic competitions: the caber toss, battle axe competitions, tug-of-war, hammer throw, and the sheaf toss
– Supervised children’s games: “kid-friendly” heavy athletics and colonial games
– Vendors selling Celtic memorabilia: clan coats-of-arms, tartan clothing for all ages, jewelry, T-shirts, and more
– Food and baked goods vendors
– Border collie herding demonstrations
– Gaelic football shows
– All historic buildings will be open for free tours: the 1788 Gemeinhaus (Moravian church and pastor’s residence), the 1782 Potter’s House (oldest brick home in Forsyth County), the 1803 Herman Buttner House and Distillery, and the 1834 Log House (sneak peak before opening for interactive tours)
– The Visitor Center will be open and selling Moravian-related books, replicas of early American pottery, baskets of all sizes, gardening supplies, and more
– Admission to the Games is free, including parking. Shuttles will be available to carry people from parking areas to the main festival activities.
– Because of the large crowds expected, we request you leave pets at home.
– Unless there is a safety concern, the event is rain or shine.